Monday, August 5, 2013

Island time

     

     So I opened up my computer to a page on Huffington Post this morning and felt immediate relaxation.  The article was on how Hawaiians live longer, eat better, and are less stressed.  I don't know about you, but I would probably feel the same if I lived in Hawaii too!  "The slowed-down, low-stress island lifestyle gives Hawaiians a major health advantage. Less than one-third of Hawaiian residents say they're stressed out on any given day, making them the least-stressed state population in the country." - Huffington Post.

     Have you ever traveled to an island and thought, "They must be on island time."  Are the workers of the resort moving a bit slower than you?  Are the natives friendly and walk at a slow tempo?  Unfortunately, those of us who live in the city, or not even close to an island, have become products of our environment.  So much, that our environment leads us.  Since my trip to Jamaica last year, I have found myself stopping for just a minute to pause, to slow down.  This was a trip that I truly took everything and everyone in around me-one step at a time.  When things get hectic in my day-to-day routine, I catch myself thinking of the beautiful water, the lush vegetation, and the great company I had last year.  In that instant, I smile.  All it takes it just a moment to catch ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment