Sunday, May 8, 2011

Meditation

May is Meditation Month and I think we could all use a little bit. Often I hear how life sweeps one away through family and work. If this doesn't pertain to you, well, consider yourself lucky.

Over the years I have learned, through many different people and publications, the many different ways to accomplish this. One way is to find a local group in your area that meet on a weekly basis. If you're not into the group thing, you can find a nice quiet place that you call your own. I suggest beginning with 10-15 min of un-interrupted stillness. No phone, no pets, radio, or TV. I have heard that if you need something to look at or concentrate on, a figurine might help. You may close your eyes as well, sit still, and pay attention to your breath. Don't think of your day, what you need to do, or what hasn't been done. Think of the flow of air as it enters your nose, flows through your body (traveling to your finger tips and toes), then out your mouth. Welcome in new life and release the stale air.

I have a place off my kitchen, where I sit about three times a week. I dim the lights at night, cross my legs on an oversized wicker chair, and relax my shoulders. I begin meditating with 4-square breathing: Inhale for a count of 4; Hold your breath for a count of 4; Exhale for a count of 4; Hold your breath for a count of 4. Please perform this nice and slow. I repeat this sequence 5x.

I hope that you find relaxation this month through any one of these methods.

No comments:

Post a Comment