Monday, July 12, 2010

A long time coming.....


Wow! OK so what I'm about to tell you is nothing new, but you can take it to mean many things.....BE TRUE TO YOURSELF....Such a cliche of a phrase isn't it? I find that we, as humans, get lost in identities. Even from a young age, we may have been living a parental dream. Your parent/s want you to be a doctor...and here you sit reading this as a teacher.

Then we start to be part of a crowd. Remember Grace from Ferris Bueller's Day Off? All the different groupies she was naming in the high school-"the sportos, motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wastoids, dweebies, dickheads...they all adore him. They think he's a rightous dude." On to relationships, other friends, new families, work, and even faith groups. We get so tripped up on assimilating into a crowd that we lose track of who we are. Why is that?

Are we that weak? Do we seek for something so high when we don't realize who we are and accept it. I come across this everyday with people all around me and even myself. No, I'm not calling myself out or some of my clients. Look around. We want to belong so much to something that we don't even know who we are. Then we are not happy with our choice....and do what? Blame them? Look down at ourselves? Why beat ourselves up?

There have been plenty of times that I have lost my own idedntity. I think we all have. It's a learning process. Here's the thing-write down on a piece of paper all the things you like to do. Have you done them? Why not? What's holding you back? This could be from reading or traveling, taking a class or buying something you've wanted.

What sparked this entry is not only the fact that I am getting ready to go to the Cayman's, but the news today listed ways to reduce stress at work. The last one was to-Embrace Life. This should be the first thing you should do, no matter what it is. EMBRACE LIFE!

No comments:

Post a Comment