Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Part Deux-Quit your crying....

So I have had a lot of great feedback from everyone on the last blog, that I thought to write this one before I forget. Or at least before I go under and you might need a translator decipher what the heck I'm trying to say because of the drugs or anaesthesia!

So I was approached by a 70-something year old man the other day. He was a cute little man who reminded me of my Italian grandfather. He, like all Italians, spoke with his hands and had a familiar accent to his conversation. He was looking for exercises to strengthen his arm after his major stroke sustained in March. I could see that he had some strain opening his left hand as he held his arm close to his side, but I was determined to help him. As he walked in front of me, my heart melted. His gait was choppy, walking with a limp but ever so proud to be alive. He couldn't lift his arm without the assistance of his right. He was able to grip a small weight and the handle of one of the machines I thought would be able to guide him through some range of motion exercises. Amazed by his positive attitude, I joked around with him, asking if he really sustained the stroke. I praised him for how far he had come in such a short time. He raised himself from his slouched position and proudly told me the story of how he wanted to "get going" and how he was used as "an example" in the physical therapy clinic. I just stood there, humbled for meeting such a strong individual.

As I drove home that afternoon, I couldn't help but shed a bit of a tear. Not only for having our paths cross, as if someone was saying that things aren't so bad, or to be stronger, but as if someone hit me over the head and told me to put my big girl panties on! I'm not telling you to shrug off your situation, as if it's not bad and "it could be worse". Again, take the situation and turn it into something successful or positive. Not only will you have accomplished something incredible, but you will be able to tell your story to someone who may not be as strong as you and who looks to you for guidance ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment