Monday, October 4, 2010

Breast Cancer Awareness...

I have not only dedicated the blog this month to Breast Cancer Awareness, but In Life and Health supports efforts to find a cure. I am faced with survivors every day, as well as a cousin of mine fighting this battle.

Breast cancer is the most common cancer in women in the United States, aside from skin cancer. According to the American Cancer Society (ACS), an estimated 192,370 new cases of invasive breast cancer are expected to be diagnosed among women in the United States this year. Breast cancer is a malignant tumor that grows in one or both of the breasts.

Breast cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death in women (after lung cancer). Although African-American women have a slightly lower incidence of breast cancer after age 40 than Caucasian women, they have a slightly higher incidence rate of breast cancer before age 40. However, African-American women are more likely to die from breast cancer at every age. Breast cancer is much less common in males; by comparison, the disease is about 100 times more common among women. (information courtesy of the American Cancer Society)

I have been a big supporter of Breast Cancer Awareness for as long as I can remember. Partly because I have come in close contact with so many strong women, listening to how their lives have been affected. I will blog on a couple of stories the next couple of weeks. I ask that if you can, please donate to one of the websites I have posted. If you do so, please let me know so that I can give you a Breast Cancer Awareness bracelet that I have had designed to support a cure.-Thank you

No comments:

Post a Comment