Monday, November 8, 2010

The Holidays are here!

Hi everyone! The cold weather is slowly creeping in and we are slowly staying inside. I really want to put the challenge out to each of you to become more physically active than last year. Buy a new fitness video, engage more in your gym, and learn the seasonal foods. I recently picked up a new cookbook by Mark Bittman-The Food Matters. This is awesome! I have used 4 recipes that are wholesome and nutritious! I promise you that everyone will enjoy this book. Here is a recipe that has won the hearts, and stomachs of all that I have cooked for. I went the quick route!

Meatless chili: That's correct...meatless!
Ingredients:
2 dried chipotle chiles
2tbs evoo
1 onion (I used a red onion)
1 red bell (I used gr)
2tbs minced garlis (I used 3 cloves-hey, I'm Italian!)
3tbs tomato paste
2tbs chili powder
3c chopped veg (I used a defrosted bag of mixed veg-peas, carrots, gr beans, corn)
3c chopped tomato (I used a lg can of chopped)
6c veg/chx stock (I used 4c of veg)
1c bulgar
2c kidney beans (threw in 1 can)

-Boil water and add to sm bowl w/ the chilis. Cover and let soak for 20min.
-Put evoo in lg pot over med heat>add onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Cook until onion is soft.
-Add paste, chopped chilis, and chili powder. Cook about 2 min.
-Add veg (I also added 1 yellow squash), stock, and tomatoes. Bring to boil, then turn down heat to a bubbly. Cook until mixture begins to thicken-about 20min.
-Add bulgar and cook. When it become tender (15min), add beans and cook another 2 min or so.
-DONE!!! Now I add and take away quite a bit when I cook. Watch and make your own decision with veg, evoo, stock, and heat. Good luck and let me know how it turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment