Monday, November 29, 2010

Not what you expected?


OK, so I can sit down and write about the holidays, tell you to get to the gym, plan things out, and stay focused-my mind took an unexpected turn not just moments before sitting down to update the blog. Yes, the holidays are here...as they always will be, quickly tormenting us with delicious treats and stressful situations. One day, as I was preparing to leave for Buffalo, I took the "girls" for a walk. As I trotted on a path, I listened to a podcast by Tara Brach (which I HIGHLY recommend you listen to). She was speaking about JOY, and I thought to myself, "self, you should blog about that". So the moment was lost with me, days passed, and now I was in Buffalo. This was a great trip. Everyday was completely, subconsciously, JOYFUL-right up to a wonderful dinner Sunday night back home. JOY was experienced everyday without planning, worrying, or predicting. So I was going to shed some light on JOY until I came upstairs to the office and completely fell apart.

I've had a hibiscus plant for a couple of years. This is a beautiful red plant. Last year, "she" bloomed right through Nov with gorgeous blooms and luscious greens. Now I know some of my clients are probably sighing right now because that's all I've spoken of recently. Since I brought her in, she has lost leaves everyday and now is close to bare. What happened? Did I do something different this year? Can I save "her"? As I knelt down and picked up everything from when I was gone, I began to remove the ugly yellow leaves. As I was removing these leaves, I noticed new ones coming in. Little, dark, green new leaves. I chuckled to myself and counted the number of buds waiting to bloom-6. Now, before you think I have totally lost it, think about it. It's a peculiar contrast to life. Sometimes things don't go the way we expect it and there's not a damn thing you can do about it. Somethings have to take their own course. Patience is the virtue my grandfather always spoke of....do I have it? Will the buds bloom? Will "she" grow back? I can't change the past and tape her leaves back on or bring her in later from the outdoors. I can't predict the future. I don't know what this plant is going to do. All I can do it sit here, enjoying the one flower "she" has on "her" and the JOY it brings when I look at it. Not to be taken for granted....

No comments:

Post a Comment